Re: How long should it take to insert 200,000 records?

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: How long should it take to insert 200,000 records?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 2/6/07, Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 18:35, Karen Hill wrote:
> > I have a pl/pgsql function that is inserting 200,000 records for
> > testing purposes.  What is the expected time frame for this operation
> > on a pc with 1/2 a gig of ram and a 7200 RPM disk?   The processor is
> > a 2ghz cpu.  So far I've been sitting here for about 2 million ms
> > waiting for it to complete, and I'm not sure how many inserts postgres
> > is doing per second.
>
> That really depends.  Doing 200,000 inserts as individual transactions
> will be fairly slow.  Since PostgreSQL generally runs in autocommit
> mode, this means that if you didn't expressly begin a transaction, you
> are in fact inserting each row as a transaction.  i.e. this:

I think OP is doing insertion inside a pl/pgsql loop...transaction is
implied here.  For creating test data, generate_series or
insert...select is obviously the way to go.  If that's unsuitable for
some reason, I would suggest RAISE NOTICE every n records so you can
monitor the progress and make sure something is not binding up in a
lock or something like that.  Be especially wary of degrading
performance during the process.

Another common problem with poor insert performance is a RI check to
an un-indexed column.  In-transaction insert performance should be
between 1k and 10k records/second in normal situations, meaning if you
haven't inserted 1 million records inside of an hour something else is
going on.

Generally, insertion performance from fastest to slowest is:
* insert select generate_series...
* insert select
* copy
* insert (),(),()[...] (at least 10 or preferably 100 insertions)
* begin, prepare, n prepared inserts executed, commit
* begin, n inserts, commit
* plpgsql loop, single inserts
* n inserts outside of transaction.

The order of which is faster might not be absolutely set in stone
(copy might beat insert select for example), but the top 4 methods
will always be much faster than the bottom 4.

merlin

Сообщение: Re: How long should it take to insert 200,000 records?
Сообщение: Re: How long should it take to insert 200,000 records?