Re: advisory locks and permissions

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: advisory locks and permissions
Дата
Re: advisory locks and permissions  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 9/22/06, Jim C. Nasby <jim@nasby.net> wrote:
> This is why I suggested we set aside some range of numbers that should
> not be used. Doing so would allow adding a better-managed
> numbering/naming scheme in the future.

the whole point about advisory locks is that the provided lock space
is unmanaged. for example, in the ISAM system I wrote which hooked
into the acucobol virtual file system interface, I used  a global
sequence for row level pessimistic locking but reserved the 48th bit
for table level locks.  This system was extremely effective.  on the
current system I'm working on I use them to lock sequence oid's plus a
high bit indicator for what i am doing.  in short, advisory locks are
application-defined in concept.

merlin