Re: OLEDB connection does not want to work. Help!!

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: OLEDB connection does not want to work. Help!!
Дата
Re: OLEDB connection does not want to work. Help!!
Список pgsql-general
On 5 Jul 2006 06:33:34 -0700, tommaso.gastaldi@uniroma1.it
<tommaso.gastaldi@uniroma1.it> wrote:

> Yesterday I had the big honor to talk (by email) with Shachar and it
> seems that they (someday) will fix this fundamental issue.
>
> I tried to stress how important is to support the OleDbSchemaGuid info,
> as the main reason one wants to use this driver, like me, is because he
> is doing something that is independent of the underlying DBMS.

> >From my perpective an OleDb provider which has no support for that
> staff, is * totally  useless *. That's also the reason why npgsql,
> which I have explored, is not fit for my purposes.

in my opinion the support for the npgsql driver is ok (not great).  It
is much better than the oledb provider however.

> In general when you have an application that needs to speak to all
> possible DBMS (and there are many, such as Reporting Tools or Query
> builders, ...), and hence rely strictly on the OleDb information, the
> OleDb is the only way to go (I believe).

I have used basically every version of visual studio and have found
that in most cases for most uses, you will be best off with the oledb
provider for odbc drivers if you want to use such tools.  Second
choice (.net only) is to use npgsql driver and typed datasets.

> That's one of the reason of the popularity OleDb providers are gaining
> among programmers.

ODBC is much more important standard than oledb.

> Clearly DB producer tend to try to push towards proprietary solutions
> (see SQLconnections, OracleConnections, ...) but they will not succeed.
> General and common sense solution have always won. It's only matter of
> time.

True, but oledb is basically microsoft only protocol while odbc is
essentially open standard.  Personally, I don't mind using specific
providers.  For example, at least 50% of my development is directly
over libpq library.

> It is important that the Postgres people realize that a good OleDb
> provided is crucial to spread their product. Just as an example I am
> just waiting for their fix to provide support to Postgres users in one
> project of mine:
>
> http://cam70.sta.uniroma1.it/Community/
>
> and this will certainly contribute to increase (a little) the
> popularity of Postgress. (But I cannot do anything to help them if they
> don't fix it.)

Most .net development with pg is done with the npgsql driver.  Most
vb6 development is done via odbc programming AFAIK.  Vast majority of
postgesql development however is done with C, Java, Perl, php, etc so
that's understdably where the focus is.

merlin