Re: Best OS for Postgres 8.2

От Claus Guttesen
Тема Re: Best OS for Postgres 8.2
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> I am about to order a new server for my Postgres cluster. I will
> probably get a Dual Xeon Quad Core instead of my current Dual Xeon.
> Which OS would you recommend to optimize Postgres behaviour (i/o
> access, multithreading, etc) ?
>
> I am hesitating between Fedora Core 6, CentOS and Debian. Can anyone
> help with this ?

My only experience is with FreeBSD. My installation is running 6.2 and
pg 7.4 on a four-way woodcrest and besides being very stable it's also
performing very well. But then FreeBSD 6.x might not scale as well
beyond four cores atm. There you probably would need FreeBSD 7 which
is the development branch and should require extensive testing.

How big will the db be in size?

--
regards
Claus