Re: error migrating database from 8.4 to 8.3

От Andrej
Тема Re: error migrating database from 8.4 to 8.3
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 9 February 2010 02:55, Marc Lustig <ml@marclustig.com> wrote:
> Due to a server issue we needed a reinstallation of Ubuntu along with a downgrade to Ubuntu Hardy.
>

> So this is what we did:
>
> - copied all from /var/lib/postgresql/8.4/main/ to the new server /var/lib/postgresql/8.3/main/
> - edited /var/lib/postgresql/8.3/main/postmaster.opts to correct the path
>
> Now trying to start the server results in
>
> * Error: The server must be started under the locale : which does not exist any more.
>
> I googled and found that people ran into this problem due to different architectures (32 vs 64 bit).
> In this case, the architecture is definiately the same.

In addition to Filip's note:  this "copy of datafiles" ONLY works with
a) same architecture
and b) same postgres major version that's 8.X.y, where 8.x comprises
the "major".

So 8.4 to 8.3 isn't going to fly. Export/import is the only option.

Cheers,
Andrej

--
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :}  Make your quotes concise.