Re: Companies Contributing to Open Source

От Andrej Ricnik-Bay
Тема Re: Companies Contributing to Open Source
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/20/06, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> I think my overall thought is the tone seems a bit non-gracious to
> companies, when IMO the community should be actively courting companies
> to give resources. If companies feel unwelcome, they won't give.
I appreciate that, but then Bruce' aim was (or at least that's how I
interpreted it) to point out difficulties that he as a long time member of
the postgres hacker community sees;  it would be a bit weird to expect
him to write something from the perspective of a company (even though
he conceivably could as an employee of enterprisedb).

> Of which, the community learning or my take that if we ignore one over
> the other it is destined to fail?
I meant the failure bit, sorry for the poor quoting.

> I don't really want to bring up the first point as it has been hashed
> over and over. It lends to the project management, todo list, milestone
> debacle :)
Amen

> The second point is that if the community ignores the company trying to
> give resources, the company is likely to ignore the community and thus
> we both fail (and vice versa).
I guess it depends on how you define "fail" for a group that hasn't
set its mind on making profit.

> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drkae
Cheers,
Andrej

От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: Re: Companies Contributing to Open Source
От: Andrew Dunstan
Сообщение: Re: Companies Contributing to Open Source