Re: [Patch] pg_rewind: options to use restore_command fromrecovery.conf or command line

От Alexey Kondratov
Тема Re: [Patch] pg_rewind: options to use restore_command fromrecovery.conf or command line
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 26.07.2019 20:43, Liudmila Mantrova wrote:

> I would like to suggest a couple of changes to docs and comments,
> please see the attachment.
> The "...or fetched on startup" part also seems wrong here, but it's
> not a part of your patch, so I'm going to ask about it on psql-docs
> separately.

Agreed, thank you a lot! Yes, "...or fetched on startup" looks a bit
confusing for me, since the whole paragraph is about target server
before running pg_rewind, but this statement is more about target server
started first time after running pg_rewind, which is discussed in the
next paragraph.

> It might also be useful to reword the following error messages:
> - "using restored from archive version of file \"%s\""
> - "could not open restored from archive file \"%s\"
> We could probably say something like "could not open file \"%s\"
> restored from WAL archive" instead.

I have reworded these and some similar messages, thanks. New patch with
changed messages is attached.

> On a more general note, I wonder if everyone is happy with the
> --using-postgresql-conf option name, or we should continue searching
> for a narrower term. Unfortunately, I don't have any better
> suggestions right now, but I believe it should be clear that its
> purpose is to fetch missing WAL files for target. What do you think?

I don't like it either, but this one was my best guess then. Maybe
--restore-target-wal instead of --using-postgresql-conf will be better?
And --target-restore-command instead of --restore-command if we want to
specify that this is restore_command for target server?

Regards

--
Alexey Kondratov

Postgres Professional https://www.postgrespro.com