Re: Import/Export failure due to UTF-8 error in pgAdmin4 but not in pgAdmin3

От Nanina Tron
Тема Re: Import/Export failure due to UTF-8 error in pgAdmin4 but not in pgAdmin3
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Hi,

thanks for the multiple responses and interesting discussion I am struggeling to keep up with all the new information.
I double checked, all settings I could find and the .csv files I want to import. Everything is manually, or at creation of the db set to UTF8. I tried to copy one of the tables via backup/restore what worked, but of course I migrated the problem with it.
I just don't see where I did something wrong. As you referred to the documentation https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/multibyte.html, this was the information why I created the db in UTF8 in the first place.
This is the SQL code of the db (from pgAdmin4 tab)
   CREATE DATABASE testdb
    WITH
    OWNER = postgres
    ENCODING = 'UTF8'
    LC_COLLATE = 'de_DE.UTF-8'
    LC_CTYPE = 'de_DE.UTF-8'
    TABLESPACE = pg_default
    CONNECTION LIMIT = -1;

So what I understand from your explanations is that I imported kind of invalid data with pgAdmin3 to begin with and now can't copy these tables in pgAdmin4 because psql has a problem with it? If so why can't I import a new .csv file in UTF8 into an new created table with pgAdmin4? I just have one option to generate the .csv in UTF8 with Excel and this isn't working.

I did not try to eliminate the problematic characters with your code ric, as I am not sure if there are characters we really need, so I would prefere not to alter the data.

I am not sure if that helps, but I just append the file I am not able to Import.

Thanks a lot so far,
Nanina