Re: Can we go beyond the standard to make Postgres radically better?

От Guyren Howe
Тема Re: Can we go beyond the standard to make Postgres radically better?
Дата
Re: Can we go beyond the standard to make Postgres radically better?  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>)
Список pgsql-general

The MySQL autocomplete is designed without context filtering. Maybe we can have this implementation too (as alternative)

so using all column names + all table names + aliases.column names (when we know defined alias)

Another idea about column excluding. Any implementation on the client side is very complex, because you need to parse sql. But maybe we can enhance SQL with some syntax.

SELECT ... and LAST optional clause can be HIDE, OR EXCLUDE NAME or EXCLUDE TYPE

SELECT * FROM postgistab HIDE TYPE LIKE 'wkb%'
SELECT * FROM postgistab ORDER BY ... EXCLUDE COLUMN LIKE 'shape%'

WITH x AS (SELECT * FROM xx)
SELECT * FROM x EXCLUDE COLUMN x1,x2

The column excluding should be separate *last* clase.

More with this syntax is less possibility of collision with ANSI SQL
Not against this. Seems somewhere in here might be a nice quality of life change.

Still.

I originally suggested that SQL is terrible and we should fearlessly either replace it or migrate it toward something better. And the thread winds up with a debate about a minor change to a development tool.

I’m back to just having no earthly idea why anyone who finds relations to be a productive tool for building a model would think that SQL being the only means to do that is Okay.

SMH.

Сообщение: Re: Can we go beyond the standard to make Postgres radically better?
Сообщение: Re: Can we go beyond the standard to make Postgres radically better?