Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?

От Richard Plotkin
Тема Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi Tom,

> Q: what have you got the FSM parameters set to?

Here's from postgresql.conf -- FSM at default settings.
# - Memory -

shared_buffers = 30400          # min 16, at least max_connections*2,
8KB each
work_mem = 32168                # min 64, size in KB
#maintenance_work_mem = 16384   # min 1024, size in KB
#max_stack_depth = 2048         # min 100, size in KB

# - Free Space Map -

#max_fsm_pages = 20000          # min max_fsm_relations*16, 6 bytes each
#max_fsm_relations = 1000       # min 100, ~50 bytes each

# - Kernel Resource Usage -

max_files_per_process = 750     #1000   # min 25
#preload_libraries = ''

> Q: what exactly is bloating?  Without knowing which tables or indexes
> are growing, it's hard to speculate about the exact causes.  Use du and
> oid2name, or look at pg_class.relpages after a plain VACUUM.

This I do not know.  I've disabled the cron jobs and will let the
system bloat, then I will gather statistics (I'll give it 12-24 hours).

> It's likely that the real answer is "you need to vacuum more often
> than every six hours", but I'm trying not to jump to conclusions.

That could be it, except that I would expect the problem to then look
more like a gradual increase in CPU usage and a gradual increase in use
of disk space.  Mine could be an invalid assumption, but the system
here looks like it goes from no problem to 100% problem within a
minute.

Thanks again!
Richard