Re: [GENERAL] column names and dollar sign

От Gavin Flower
Тема Re: [GENERAL] column names and dollar sign
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 18/05/17 11:59, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 5/17/2017 4:51 PM, Gavin Flower wrote:
>> Variables ending in '$' date back to at least the early days of BASIC
>> - long before the spectre of Microsoft loomed large, let alone
>> 'Visual Basic'!
>

> I note even INT fields have $ names there...   IBM used to like to use
> $ in names for system stuff, SYS$BLAHBLAH or whatever.

Names ending in % were integers.

The BASIC I'm most familiar with was BBC BASIC as on the BBC MIcro and
the Acorn Archimedes.

Visual Basic is the only language I've ever written a program in that I
could not get to run - it should NEVER have had BASIC as part of its names.

Cheers,
Gavin