max_fsm_pages, shared_buffers and checkpoint_segments

От Y Sidhu
Тема max_fsm_pages, shared_buffers and checkpoint_segments
Дата
Re: max_fsm_pages, shared_buffers and checkpoint_segments  (PFC <lists@peufeu.com>)
Re: max_fsm_pages, shared_buffers and checkpoint_segments  (Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
I am a newbie, as you all know, but I am still embarassed asking this question. I started my tuning career by changing shared_buffers. Soon I discovered that I was hitting up against the available RAM on the system. So, I brought the number down. Then I discovered max_fsm_pages. I could take that up quite high and found out that it is a 'disk' thing. Then I started increasing checkpoint_segments,which is also a disk thing. However, setting it to 25, and then increasing any of the other 2 variables, the postgresql daemon stops working. meaning it does not start upon reboot. When I bring shared_buffers or max_fsm_pages back down, the daemon starts and all is normal. This happens on a 1 GB RAM machine and a 4 GB RAM machine.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

System:  FreeBSD 6.1, Postgresql 8.09, 2 GB RAM

--
Yudhvir Singh Sidhu
408 375 3134 cell