PostgreSQL Upgrade recommendations

От Andrew Parkyns
Тема PostgreSQL Upgrade recommendations
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL Upgrade recommendations  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-ports

Hi,

I’ve just joined this morning and I wonder if anyone could help? I’d like some opinions / war stories / suggestions/ recommendations whatever on PostgreSQL upgrades.

We have a PostgreSQL 7.2.1 server on Linux RHL 9 Enterprise / Intel port.

I am quite new to Postgres (my day job is an Oracle DBA) but I am experienced in handling critical upgrades etc. on other platforms.

Feedback from the Forum, please, on:

  • I want an up-to-date upgrade version, not too new and unstable. Which one? 7.4.x? Wait for 7.5? I don’t want to do this too often so I would like to space major upgrade intervals by at least 12 months if possible.
  • Any really pressing reasons to move off 7.2.x ? Nasty bugs not patches until later versions?
  • 3rd party software Incompatibility issues?
  • Reasons of performance / functionality?

I would be most grateful to receive feedback from anyone out there. Very much looking forward to your replies

Andrew Parkyns

Microgen plc.,

Welwyn Garden City

UK

This email was checked on leaving Microgen for viruses, similar
malicious code and inappropriate content by MessageLabs SkyScan.

DISCLAIMER

This email and any attachments are confidential and may also be
privileged.

If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender
immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other
person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information.

In the event of any technical difficulty with this email, please
contact the sender or it.support@microgen.co.uk

Microgen Information Management Solutions
http://www.microgen.co.uk