Re: SQL queries as sets: was The tragedy of SQL

От Rich Shepard
Тема Re: SQL queries as sets: was The tragedy of SQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 15 Sep 2021, Steve Litt wrote:

> Rich, could you please elaborate on SQL queries being based on sets? I
> never thought of it that way, and would like to hear your related
> thoughts.

SteveT,

In the 1980s, when there were computer magazines such as Byte and Database
Administrator (among many others), Joe Celko wrote a monthly database column
in one (or more, I forget these details). This lead me to buy and read his
books, including 'SQL for Smarties' and its many editions, 'SQL
Programming', and 'Thinking in Sets: Auxilliary, Temporal, and Virtual
Tables in SQL'.

I reccomend his books to answer your questions and give you a sound
foundation.

Regards,

Rich