Re: [GENERAL] DATA Integrity & Recovery

От Rich Shepard
Тема Re: [GENERAL] DATA Integrity & Recovery
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 12 Jul 2017, chris faber wrote:

> I would appreciate the communities help in the following:
>
> 1. Determine if data from the incremental backups can be restored or
> recovered.
> 2. Determine if data can be recovered from individual files backed up from
> main Postgres data directory.

Chris,

   I am very far from being a postgres admin expert, but my understanding
from years ago is that general system backups (and I use dirvish every day
for incremental backups of all partitions) are different from
postgres-specific backups using pg_dump and pg_dumpall. I never looked into
the differences or why they mattered, but each week I run pg_dumpall and
save the .sql file in a database_backup/ directory.

   This does not answer your specific questions but does offer a strategy for
future operations.

HTH,

Rich