Re: Checkpoint Tuning Question

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Checkpoint Tuning Question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 8 Jul 2009, Dan Armbrust wrote:

> My takeaway is that starting the checkpoint process is really
> expensive - so I don't want to start it very frequently.  And the only
> downside to longer intervals between checkpoints is a longer recovery
> time if the system crashes?

And additional disk space wasted in hold the write-ahead logs.  You're
moving in the right direction here, the less checkpoints the better as
long as you can stand the recovery time.  What you'll discover if you bump
checkpoint_segments up high enough is that you have to lengthen the test
run you're trying, because eventually you'll reach a point where there are
none of them happening during some test runs.