Re: Postgres Clustering

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Postgres Clustering
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 27 May 2009, Alan McKay wrote:

> Got any good pointers for reading material to help me get up to speed
> on PostgreSQL clustering?   What options are available?  What are the
> issues?  Terminology.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Replication%2C_Clustering%2C_and_Connection_Pooling
is where I keep my notes, which has worked out great for me because then
other people fix mistakes and keep everything current.

> And in particular since I already have heard of this particular
> product - are there any opinions on Continuent?

If what you need is fairly high-level replication where you can handle
some log replication overhead, one of their replicators might work well
for you.  I usually work more with OLTP systems, where write volume is too
high for something running that far outside of the database to perform
well enough.  You might note that Continuent's solutions advertise
"Scaling of read-intensive applications" rather than write ones.

By the way:  cross-posting on these lists is generally frowned upon. It
causes problems for people who reply to you but are aren't on all of the
lists you sent to.  If you're not sure what list something should go on,
just send it to -general rather than cc'ing multiple ones.