Re: Proposal of tunable fix for scalability of 8.4

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Proposal of tunable fix for scalability of 8.4
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009, Jignesh K. Shah wrote:

> That said the testkit that I am using is a lightweight OLTP typish
> workload which a user runs against a preknown schema and between various
> transactions that it does it emulates a wait time of 200ms.

After re-reading about this all again at
http://blogs.sun.com/jkshah/resource/pgcon_problems.pdf I remembered I
wanted more info on just what Sun's iGen OLTP does anyway.  Here's a
collection of published comments on it that assembles into a reasonably
detailed picture, as long as you're somewhat familiar with what TPC-C
does:

http://blogs.sun.com/bmseer/entry/t2000_adds_database_leadership_to

"The iGEN-OLTP 1.5 benchmark is a SUN internally developed transaction
processing database workload. This workload simulates a light-weight
Global Order System that stresses lock management and connectivity."

http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2008/02/27/a-piece-of-sunmysql-marketing/#comment-246663

"The iGen workload was created from actual customer workloads and has a
lot more complexity than Sysbench which only test very simple operations
one at a time. The iGen database consist of 6 tables and its executes a
combination of light, medium and heavy transactions."

http://www.sun.com/third-party/global/oracle/collateral/T2000_Oracle_iGEN_05-12-06.pdf?null

"The iGEN-OLTP benchmark is a stress and performance test, measuring the
throughput and simultaneous user connections of an OLTP database workload.
The iGEN-OLTP workload is based on customer applications and is
constructed as a 2-tier orders database application where three
transactions are executed:

  * light read-only query
  * medium read-only query
  * 'heavy' read and insert operation.

The transactions are comprised of various SQL statements: read-only
selects, joins, update and insert operations.  iGen OLTP avoids problems
that plague other OTLP benchmarks like TPC-C. TPC-C has problems with only
using light-weight queries, allowing artificial data partitioning, and
only testing a few database functions. The iGen transactions take almost
twice the computation work compared to the TPC-C transactions."

http://blogs.sun.com/ritu/entry/mysql_benchmark_us_t2_beats

"iGen OLTP avoids problems that plague other OTLP benchmarks like TPC-C.
In particular, it is completely random in table row selections and thus is
difficult to use artificial optimizations. iGen OLTP stresses process and
thread creation, process scheduling, and database commit processing...The
transactions are comprised of various SQL transactions: read-only selects,
joins, inserts and update operations."