Re: pg_ls_tmpdir to show directories and shared filesets (andpg_ls_*)

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: pg_ls_tmpdir to show directories and shared filesets (andpg_ls_*)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello Justin,

> Rebased onto 7b48f1b490978a8abca61e9a9380f8de2a56f266 and renumbered OIDs.

Some feedback about v18, seen as one patch.

Patch applies cleanly & compiles. "make check" is okay.

pg_stat_file() and pg_stat_dir_files() now return a char type, as well as
the function which call them, but the documentation does not seem to say
that it is the case.

I must admit that I'm not a fan on the argument management of
pg_ls_dir_metadata and pg_ls_dir_metadata_1arg and others. I understand
that it saves a few lines though, so maybe let it be.

There is a comment in pg_ls_dir_files which talks about pg_ls_dir.

Could pg_ls_*dir functions C implementations be dropped in favor of a pure
SQL implementation, like you did with recurse?

If so, ISTM that pg_ls_dir_files() could be significantly simplified by
moving its filtering flag to SQL conditions on "type" and others. That
could allow not to change the existing function output a keep the "isdir"
column defined as "type = 'd'" where it was used previously, if someone
complains, but still have the full capability of "ls". That would also
allow to drop the "*_1arg" hacks. Basically I'm advocating having 1 or 2
actual C functions, and all other variants managed at the SQL level.

--
Fabien.