RE: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option

От Fabien COELHO
Тема RE: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bonjour Daniel,

>>> I agree with your opinion.
>>
>> Ok. I did not yet change the default in the attached version, though.
>
> I'd go further and suggest that there shouldn't be a variable
> controlling this. All results that come in should be processed, period.
> It's not just about \; If the ability of CALL to produce multiple
> resultsets gets implemented (it was posted as a POC during v11
> development), this will be needed too.

I do agree, but I'm afraid that if there is no opt-out it could be seen as
a regression by some.

>> This attached version does:
>>  - ensure that warnings appear just before its
>>  - add the entry in psql's help
>>  - redefine the function boundary so that timing is cleaner
>>  - include somehow improved tests
>
> \errverbose seems to no longer work with the patch:
>
> test=> select 1/0;
> psql: ERROR:  division by zero
>
> test=> \errverbose
> There is no previous error.
>
> as opposed to this output with PG11:
>
> test=> \errverbose
> ERROR:    22012: division by zero
> LOCATION:  int4div, int.c:820

Thanks for the catch. I'll investigate.

> \errverbose has probably no regression tests because its output includes
> these ever-changing line numbers; hence `make check` cannot be used to
> find this regression.

What is not tested does not work:-( The TAP infrastructure for psql
included in some patch (https://commitfest.postgresql.org/23/2100/ I
guess) would help testing such slightly varying features which cannot be
tested with a hardcoded reference text.

--
Fabien.