Re: fix psql \conninfo & \connect when using hostaddr

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: fix psql \conninfo & \connect when using hostaddr
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>>> I think so some redundant messages can be reduced - see function
>>> printConnInfo - attached patch
>>
>> I thought about doing like that, but I made the debatable choice to keep the
>> existing redundancy because it minimizes diffs and having a print-to-stdout
>> special function does not look like a very clean API, as it cannot really be
>> used by non CLI clients.
>
> What?  This is psql, so it doesn't affect non-CLI clientes, does it?

Indeed, you are right, and I'm really mixing everything today. What I
really thought was to have a function which would return the full
description.

> On the other hand, one message says "you're NOW connected",

Indeed, the text is slightly different.

> the other doesn't have the "now".  If we're dropping the "now" (I think
> it's useless), let's make an explicit choice about it.  TBH I'd drop the
> "you're" also, so both \conninfo and \c would say
>
> Connected to database foo <conn details>
>
> Anyway, a trivial change that's sure to make bikeshed paint seller cry
> with so many customers yelling at each other; not for this patch.

Ok. I'm not planning to refactor "psql" today.

--
Fabien.