Re: csv format for psql

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: csv format for psql
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello Daniel,

> This patch implements csv as an output format in psql
> (\pset format csv). It's quite similar to the unaligned format,
> except that it applies CSV quoting rules (obviously!) and that
> it prints no footer and no title.
> As with unaligned, a header with column names is output unless
> tuples_only is on. It also supports the fieldsep/fielsep_zero
> and recordsep/recordsep_zero settings.

Patch applies cleanly and compiles. "make check" ok, although there is
no specific test for this feature...

The documentation should mention the other CSV options (COPY, \copy, ...)
and explain how they compare to this one. Maybe a specific paragraph about
how to do CSV? I understand "\pset format csv" as triggering that all
outputs compared to per command options.

Given that this is somehow already available, I'm wondering why there is
no code sharing.

I find it annoying that setting csv keeps the default '|' separator, where
ISTM that it should be by default "," (as in COMMA separated value:-).
However it would not be a good idea to change another variables when setting
one, obviously.

Maybe some \csv command could set the format to csv, fieldsep to ",",
tuples_only to on, recordsep to '\n'? Not sure whether it would be
acceptable, though, and how to turn it off once turned on... Probably an
average (aka not good) idea:-)

The format adds column headers, however they are not escaped properly:

   psql> \pset format csv
   psql> \pset fieldsep ,
   psql> SELECT 1 AS "hello, world", 2 AS """";
     hello, world,"
     1,2

Also it does not seem to work properly in expanded mode, both for the
column and values:

   psql> \x
   psql> SELECT 1 AS "bla""", E'\n,"' AS foo;
     bla",1
     foo,
     ,"

There MUST be some tests, especially with ugly stuff (escapes, newlines,
double quotes, various types, expanded or not, field seps, strange
column names...).

--
Fabien.