Re: Setting BLCKSZ 4kB

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: Setting BLCKSZ 4kB
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello,

> What are the cons of setting BLCKSZ as 4kB? When saw the results
> published on [...].

There were other posts and publications which points to the same direction
consistently.

This matches my deep belief is that postgres default block size is a
reasonable compromise for HDD, but is less pertinent for SSD for most OLTP
loads.

For OLAP, I do not think it would lose much, but I have not tested it.

> Does turning off FPWs will be safe if BLCKSZ is set to 4kB given page
> size of file system is 4kB?

FPW = Full Page Write. I would not bet on turning off FPW, ISTM that SSDs
can have "page" sizes as low as 512 bytes, but are typically 2 kB or 4 kB,
and the information easily available anyway.

--
Fabien.