Re: [HACKERS] show precise repos version for dev builds?

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: [HACKERS] show precise repos version for dev builds?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> The make dependencies ensure that the header file is regenerated on each
>> build with a phony target, and the C file is thus recompiled and linked into
>> the executables on each build. It means that all executables are linked on
>> each rebuild, even if not necessary, though.
>
> That'd be quite painful, consider e.g. people using LTO.  If done right
> however, that should be avoidable to some degree. When creating the
> version file, only replace its contents if the contents differ - that's
> just a few lines of scripting.

Indeed.

A potential issue is with dynamic linking, potentially someone could
recompile/reinstall just one shared object or dll, and the executable
using the lib would change its behavior, and run with libs from
heterogeneous version. What is the actual version? Hard to say.

In dev mode we often use static linking so that we can copy the executable
for a previous version and it would not change depending on updated libs,
and so that we always know (or should know) what actual version is
running.

--
Fabien.