Re: [HACKERS] psql - add special variable to reflect the last querystatus

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: [HACKERS] psql - add special variable to reflect the last querystatus
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello Tom,

> Hm.  Looking closer at this, I see that it doesn't work so well after all
> to put the variable-setting code in ProcessResult:
> that fails to cover the ExecQueryUsingCursor code path.

Ok, I'll investigate this path.

> And it also fails to cover DescribeQuery, which arguably should set
> these variables as well

And this one.

> -- certainly so if it gets a failure.  Maybe you
> could create a small subroutine along the lines of
> SetResultVariables(PGresult *result, bool success) for all three places
> to call.  (ProcessResult certainly has already decided whether it's got
> a success, and I think the other paths would know that as well, so no
> need to re-extract it from the PGresult.)

Ok.

> I think you're overly optimistic to believe that every failure will
> have a SQLSTATE; I don't think that's true for libpq-reported errors,
> such as connection loss.

Yep, I thought I was optimistic:-) Can I add a special SQLSTATE for that
situation where libpq did not report an error?

> Using upper-case TRUE/FALSE for the values of ERROR seems a bit
> ugly to me; we generally use lower case for other variable values,
> so I'd go with true/false.

Ok. The choice is not aesthetic but systematic: I use upper-case for all
SQL keywords, and lower-case or capitalized for anything user land. I can
put lower-case if you want.

--
Fabien.