Re: [HACKERS] \if, \elseif, \else, \endif (was Re: PSQL commands:\quit_if, \quit_unless)

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: [HACKERS] \if, \elseif, \else, \endif (was Re: PSQL commands:\quit_if, \quit_unless)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello Daniel,

>> Ah, I see why *that* wants to know about it ... I think.  I suppose you're
>> arguing that variable expansion shouldn't be able to insert, say, an \else
>> in a non-active branch?  Maybe, but if it can insert an \else in an active
>> branch, then why not non-active too?  Seems a bit inconsistent.
>
> Are we sold on the idea that conditionals should be implemented
> by meta-commands, rather than for example terminal symbols of
> a new grammar on top of the existing?

I would say that this already exists server-side, and it is named
PL/pgSQL:-)

I think that once psql has started with \xxx commands, then client-side
extensions must stick with it till the end of time.

--
Fabien.