Re: [HACKERS] pgbench - allow backslash continuations in \setexpressions

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: [HACKERS] pgbench - allow backslash continuations in \setexpressions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello,

>> The attached patch adds backslash-return (well newline really) continuations
>> to all pgbench backslash-commands.
>>
>> The attached test uses continuations on all such commands (sleep set
>> setshell and shell).
>>
>> I think that adding continuations to psql should be a distinct patch.

> The patch does not apply on the latest head, I guess this requires
> rebasing since yours is posted in December.

Strange. Here is a new version and a test for all known backslash-commands
in pgbench.

   sh> git br test master
   sh> git apply ~/pgbench-continuation-3.patch
   # ok
   sh> git diff
   # ok
   sh> cd src/bin/pgbench
   sh> make
   sh> ./pgbench -t 1 -f SQL/cont.sql
   starting vacuum...end.
   debug(script=0,command=1): int 0
   debug(script=0,command=2): int 1
   debug(script=0,command=4): int 2
   3
   debug(script=0,command=8): int 4
   transaction type: SQL/cont.sql

> Again, it is giving trailing whitespace errors (as I reported for the
> earlier version), plus it does not apply with git apply,

It does above with the attached version.

> hopefully that would be fixed once rebased. Other than that, I observed
> that if after backslash space is there, then the command fails.

Yes, this is expected.

> I think it should be something like if after backslash some spaces are
> there, followed by end-of-line then it should ignore these spaces and
> read next line, atleast with this new meaning of backslash.

Hmmm. This is not the behavior of backslash continuation in bash or
python, I do not think that this is desirable to have a different
behavior.

> Otherwise, it should be mentioned in the docs that backslash should not
> be followed by space.

I'm not sure. Doc says that continuation is "backslash-return", it cannot
be more explicit. If it must say what it is not, where should it stop?

--
Fabien.