Re: [HACKERS] proposal: session server side variables

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: [HACKERS] proposal: session server side variables
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] proposal: session server side variables  (Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: [HACKERS] proposal: session server side variables  (Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: [HACKERS] proposal: session server side variables  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello Robert,

>> Half-persistence (in definition, not in value) is not a key feature
>> needed by the use-case.
>
> Well, you don't get to decide that.

I do not think that your reprimand is deserved about this point: I did not
decide a subjective opinion, I noted an objective fact.

> You've been told by at least three or four people that they don't want
> variables to be transactional, you've been pointed to documentation
> links showing that in other database systems including Oracle variables
> are not transactional, and you still insist that this proposal is
> senseless unless variables are transactional.

Indeed.

I have submitted a proof of this fact in the form of a counter example
which (1) (pseudo) implements the use-case by logging into an audit table
the fact a user accesses the secure level (2) shows that the status of a
non transactional session variable used for keeping this status is wrong
for the use case in some cases (it says that all is well while appending
to the audit table failed).

I have also recognized that the use-case could be implemented safely,
although not correctly, if pg provides nested/autonomous transactions like
Oracle, DB2 or MS SQL does, but I think that having such a useful feature
is quite far away...

> You have every right to decide what you think is useful, but you don't
> have a right to decide what other people think is useful.

Hmmm.

I feel entitled to point out to other people that their belief that a
feature as described provides a correct solution to a particular use case
is wrong, if it is factually the case. If they persist in this belief
despite the submitted proof, I can only be sad about it, because if pg
provides a feature for a security-relared use case which does not work
correctly it is just shooting one's foot.

I do not like Pavel's feature, this is a subjective opinion. This feature
does not provide a correct solution for the use case, this is an objective
fact. The presented feature does not have a real use case, this is too
bad.

Finally, I did not "veto" this feature, I reviewed it in depth and
concluded negatively. You are a committer and I'm just a "silly academic",
you do not have to listen to anything I say and can take majority votes
against proofs if you want.

--
Fabien.