Re: [HACKERS] proposal: session server side variables

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: [HACKERS] proposal: session server side variables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello Pavel, and Happy new year!

>> (1) Having some kind of variable, especially in interactive mode, allows to

>>> You can currently (ab)use user defined GUCs for this.
>>
>> How? It seems that I have missed the syntax to assign the result of a
>> query to a user-defined guc, and to reuse it simply in a query.

> postgres=# select set_config('myvar.text', (select
> current_timestamp::text), false);

Thanks for the pointer! The documentation is rather scarse...

They are indeed session or transaction-alive. They seem to be
user-private, which is good. However they are text only, casts are needed
in practice as shown by your example, and I find the syntax quite
unfriendly for interactive use. I'm not sure about performance.

I have added a subsection about them in the wiki.

--
Fabien.