Re: [HACKERS] proposal: session server side variables

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: [HACKERS] proposal: session server side variables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> yes, I'll do it.
>
> But I'll remove some strange ideas.

Why?

I rather expect that you would comment that you find them strange and
argue why: there is no reason to "remove" a concept idea as such at least
early in a discussion process...

> Why persistent variables?

Because *you* want persistent session variables... I did not invent it,
I just removed the "session" word and generalized the concept.

Sometimes one wants to store sets, sometimes one wants to only store
value.

> Please, one argument. We have tables. What is wrong on tables?

Nothing is wrong as such. Cons arguments are: the syntax is verbose just
for one scalar, and the one-row property is currently not easily enforced
by pg, AFAIK.

Note that I'm not claiming that it should be implemented, but if some kind
of half-persistent variables are implemented, I think it should be
consistent with possibly fully-persistent variable as well, even if they
are not implemented immediately, or ever.

> Anything what will be persistent will have similar performance like
> tables.

Yes, sure. It is a different use case. Argue in the wiki!

--
Fabien.

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] proposal: session server side variables
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] proposal: session server side variables