Re: pgbench - allow to store select results into variables

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: pgbench - allow to store select results into variables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello Pavel,

> Why you are introducing \into and not \gset like psql does?

Good question.

The \into syntax I implemented is more generic, you can send a bunch of
queries together and extract the results, which makes sense from a client
perspective where reducing latency is important:
   SELECT 1, 2 \; SELECT 3;   \into one two three

However "gset" only works on the last SELECT and if all columns have a
name. This feature probably makes sense interactively, but for a script it
seems more useful to allow batch processing and collect results
afterwards.

Also a more subjective argument: I do not like the gset automagic naming
feature. I got more inspired by PL/pgSQL and ECPG which both have an
"into" syntax with explicit variable names that let nothing to guessing. I
like things to be simple and explicit, hence the proposed into.

--
Fabien.

Сообщение: Re: pgbench - allow to store select results into variables
Сообщение: Re: pgbench - allow to store select results into variables