Re: checkpointer continuous flushing - V16

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: checkpointer continuous flushing - V16
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hallo Patric,

> Kernel 3.2 is extremely bad for Postgresql, as the vm seems to amplify
> IO somehow. The difference to 3.13 (the latest LTS kernel for 12.04) is
> huge.

https://medium.com/postgresql-talk/benchmarking-postgresql-with-different-linux-kernel-versions-on-ubuntu-lts-e61d57b70dd4#.6dx44vipu

Interesting! To summarize it, 25% performance degradation from best kernel
(2.6.32) to worst (3.2.0), that is indeed significant.

> You might consider upgrading your kernel to 3.13 LTS. It's quite easy
> [...]

There are other stuff running on the hardware that I do not wish to touch,
so upgrading the particular host is currently not an option, otherwise I
would have switched to trusty.

Thanks for the pointer.

--
Fabien.