Re: BUG #12379: pgbench should hint to pgbench -i

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: BUG #12379: pgbench should hint to pgbench -i
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

>>>  Is "doo" the right database? Did you initialize it first (pgbench -i)?

>>  HINT (pgbench):  Is "foo" the right database? Did you initialize (-i) first?

>>  pgbench:  ...

>>  pgbench HINT:  ...

> Well, prefixing with "<binaryname>: " makes sense to me in the general
> case.  But would it not be odd to do that for this message, and not the
> whole lot of the rest of stuff pgbench can print to stderr, which are not
> fatal errors, that is: hints?

Sure, it would not be strictly homogeneous with other stuff.

On the other hand, ISTM desirable that the "hint"ness quality of the
message is clear, because this is directly actionnable help, where other
messages just report a failure (cannot open log file, failed to set timer,
whatever), but do not provide much help for solving it, so I would rather
keep something with the "hint" word somewhere.

--
Fabien.