Re: BUG #12379: pgbench should hint to pgbench -i

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: BUG #12379: pgbench should hint to pgbench -i
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Hello Oleksandr,

>> HINT:  is "foo" the right database? did you initialize first (pgbench -i)?
>
> I don't think there is precedent for spitting out "HINT:" in client code
> (at least grep didn't find it).  So this message might look like it's
> coming from the server, while it doesn't.

I do not see that as a problem. From my point of view a "HINT" is just
what it is, and the message says clearly that it comes from pgbench.

> I think the following is closer to pre-existing experience, IMO:
> + fprintf(stderr, "Is \"%s\" the right database? Did you initialize it first (pgbench -i)?\n", dbName);

Hmmm. I liked to have a prefix on the line, that gives a purpose to the
sentence. Maybe:

   HINT (pgbench):  Is "foo" the right database? Did you initialize (-i) first?

Or

   pgbench:  ...

Or

   pgbench HINT:  ...

--
Fabien.

Сообщение: Re: BUG #12379: pgbench should hint to pgbench -i
Сообщение: Re: BUG #12379: pgbench should hint to pgbench -i