Re: run xmllint during build (was Re: need xmllint on borka)

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: run xmllint during build (was Re: need xmllint on borka)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Also, a general comment, which is independent of this patch: I found the
> documentation build especially not resilient, with a lack of clear error
> messages when something is broken. Basically, if configure does not found
> something for the doc (openjade, osx, xmllint, ...) it does not complain.
> That is fine with me, people would not always want to build the doc anyway as
> it is available online. However, the Makefile in doc/src/sgml overrides the
> not found commands (ifndef JADE JADE=..., etc), and proceed to unhelpful and
> unclear errors later on. ISTM that it may be more helful to do:

To be more constructive:

Maybe all commands could have a check counterpart added to the
dependencies, so as to fail gracefully only if needed, something like:
  .check_XXX:    if type -p $(XXX) > /dev/null ; then touch $@ ; else \      echo "command $(XXX) not found"; exit 1 ;
\   fi

  foo: .check_XXX    $(XXX) ...

I'm not sure how to check for the docbook style availability though.

--
Fabien.