Re: pgbench progress report improvements

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: pgbench progress report improvements
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dear Noah,

Thanks for your answers and remarks,

[...]

I'll split some part of the patch where there is no coupling, but I do
not want to submit conflicting patches.

> Those benefits aren't compelling enough to counterbalance the risk of
> gettimeofday() overhead affecting results.  (Other opinions welcome.)

Yep. If I really leave gettimeofday out, I cannot measure the stddev, so
I'll end up with:
 --rate    => gettimeofday, mean (& stddev) measured, because they    cannot be derived otherwise.
 no --rate => no (or less) gettimeofday, mean computed from total time and    no stddev report because it cannot be
computed.

That is annoying, because I do want the standard deviation, and this mean
one "if"s complexity here and there.

ISTM that when running under a target time, the (hopefully very small)
overhead is only one gettimeofday call, because the other one is taken
anyway to check whether the thread should stop.

Or I can add a yet another option, say --stddev, to ask for standard
deviation, which will imply the additional gettimeofday call...

> For a tool like pgbench that requires considerable skill to use
> effectively, changing a default only helps slightly.  It doesn't take
> much of a risk to make us better off leaving the default unchanged.

I can put a 0 default... but even very experienced people will be bitten
over and over. Why should I care? ISTM that the default should be the
safe option, and experienced user can request "-quiet" if they want it.

>> [...]
>> I tried to preserve the row-counting behavior because I thought that
>> someone would object otherwise, but I would be really in favor of
>> dropping the row-counting report behavior altogether and only keep the
>> time triggered report.
>
> I would be fine with dropping the row-counting behavior.  But why subject this
> distant side issue to its third round of bikeshedding in 18 months?

I was not involved:-)

The 100000 behavior is the initial & old version, and only applies to
initialization. Someone found it too verbose when scaling, and I agree, so
made a quick patch which preserves the old behavior (someone must have
said: whatever, do not change the default!) but allowed to switch to a
less noisy version, hence the -quiet which is not really quiet. This would
be the defective result of a compromise:-)

If I follow your request not to change any default, I cannot merge cleanly
the -i & bench behaviors, as currenty -i does have a default progress
report and its own -quiet, and benchmarking does not.

The current behavior is inconsistent. I would prefer something consistent,
preferably always show a progress report, and -quiet hides it (fully), or
if you really insist no progress report, and --progress shows it, and the
-quiet option is removed.

>>> That theory is sound, but I would like at least one report reproducing that
>>> behavior and finding that this change improved it.
>
> [...] so I'm inclined to leave it alone.

I really spent *hours* debugging stupid measures on the previous round of
pgbench changes, when adding the throttling stuff. Having the start time
taken when the thread really starts is just sanity, and I needed that just
to rule out that it was the source of the "strange" measures.

-j 800 vs -j 100 : ITM that if I you create more threads, the time delay
incurred is cumulative, so the strangeness of the result should worsen.
800 threads ~ possibly 10 seconds of creation time, to be compared to a
few seconds of run time.

>>>  Shouldn't it just be:
>>>
>>>         int64 wait = (int64) (throttle_delay *
>>>             -log(1 - pg_erand48(thread->random_state)));
>> [...]
> Ah; that makes sense.  Then I understand why you want to remove the bias, but
> why do you also increase the upper bound?

Because the bias was significantly larger for 1000 (about 0.5%), so this
also contributed to reduce said bias, and 9.2 times the average target
seems as reasonnable a bound as 6.9.

>> It is also printed without --rate. There is a "if" above because there is
>> one report with "lag" (under --rate), and one without.
>
> The code I quoted is for the final report in printResults(), and that only
> shows latency mean/stddev when using --rate.  The progress reporting in
> threadRun() does have two variations as you describe.

Indeed, I took it for the progress report. I'll check. It must be
consistent whether under --rate or not.

--
Fabien.