Re: Planner not using column limit specified for one column for another column equal to first

От Matthew Wakeling
Тема Re: Planner not using column limit specified for one column for another column equal to first
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010, Віталій Тимчишин wrote:
> As of making planner more clever, may be it is possible to introduce
> division on "fast queries" and "long queries", so that if after fast
> planning cost is greater then some configurable threshold, advanced planning
> techniques (or settings) are used. As far as I have seen in this list, many
> techniques are not used simply because they are too complex and could make
> planning take too much time for really fast queries, but they are vital for
> long ones.

+1. That's definitely a good idea in my view. The query optimiser I wrote
(which sits on top of Postgres and makes use of materialised views to
speed up queries) uses a similar approach - it expends effort proportional
to the estimated cost of the query, as reported by EXPLAIN.

Matthew

--
 To most people, solutions mean finding the answers. But to chemists,
 solutions are things that are still all mixed up.