Re: Fw: Help me put 2 Gigs of RAM to use

От Matthew Wakeling
Тема Re: Fw: Help me put 2 Gigs of RAM to use
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, 10 Dec 2009, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> What I'm noticing is that the while the FreeBSD server has 4 Gigs of
> memory, there are rarely every more than 2 in use-- the memory use
> graphs as being rather constant. My goal is to make good use of those 2
> Gigs of memory to improve performance and reduce the CPU usage.

I think you'll find that the RAM is already being used quite effectively
as disc cache by the OS. It sounds like the server is actually set up
pretty well. You may get slightly better performance by tweaking a thing
here or there, but the server needs some OS disc cache to perform well.

> (We currently run 8.2, but are planning an upgrade to 8.4 "soon").

Highly recommended.

> [I tried to post this yesterday but didn't see it come through. This
> message is a second attempt.)

The mailing list server will silently chuck any message whose subject
starts with the word "help", just in case you're asking for help about
managing the mailing list. The default behaviour is not to inform you that
it has done so. It is highly annoying - could a list admin please consider
changing this?

Matthew

--
 I would like to think that in this day and age people would know better than
 to open executables in an e-mail. I'd also like to be able to flap my arms