RAID card recommendation

От Matthew Wakeling
Тема RAID card recommendation
Дата
Re: RAID card recommendation  (Ben Chobot <bench@silentmedia.com>)
Re: RAID card recommendation  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
Re: RAID card recommendation  (Dave Crooke <dcrooke@gmail.com>)
Re: RAID card recommendation  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
We're about to purchase a new server to store some of our old databases,
and I was wondering if someone could advise me on a RAID card. We want to
make a 6-drive SATA RAID array out of 2TB drives, and it will be RAID 5 or
6 because there will be zero write traffic. The priority is stuffing as
much storage into a small 2U rack as possible, with performance less
important. We will be running Debian Linux.

People have mentioned Areca as making good RAID controllers. We're looking
at the "Areca ARC-1220 PCI-Express x8 SATA II" as a possibility. Does
anyone have an opinion on whether it is a turkey or a star?

Another possibility is a 3-ware card of some description.

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

--
 Now you see why I said that the first seven minutes of this section will have
 you looking for the nearest brick wall to beat your head against. This is