Re: performance for high-volume log insertion

От david@lang.hm
Тема Re: performance for high-volume log insertion
Дата
Re: performance for high-volume log insertion
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, 21 Apr 2009, Stephen Frost wrote:

> * James Mansion (james@mansionfamily.plus.com) wrote:
>> david@lang.hm wrote:
>>> on the other hand, when you have a full queue (lots of stuff to
>>> insert) is when you need the performance the most. if it's enough of a
>>> win on the database side, it could be worth more effort on the
>>> applicaiton side.
>> Are you sure preparing a simple insert is really worthwhile?
>>
>> I'd check if I were you.  It shouldn't take long to plan.
>
> Using prepared queries, at least if you use PQexecPrepared or
> PQexecParams, also reduces the work required on the client to build the
> whole string, and the parsing overhead on the database side to pull it
> apart again.  That's where the performance is going to be improved by
> going that route, not so much in eliminating the planning.

in a recent thread about prepared statements, where it was identified that
since the planning took place at the time of the prepare you sometimes
have worse plans than for non-prepared statements, a proposal was made to
have a 'pre-parsed, but not pre-planned' version of a prepared statement.
This was dismissed as a waste of time (IIRC by Tom L) as the parsing time
was negligable.

was that just because it was a more complex query to plan?

David Lang

Сообщение: Re: performance for high-volume log insertion
Сообщение: Re: performance for high-volume log insertion