Re: migration of 7.4 to 8.1

От david@lang.hm
Тема Re: migration of 7.4 to 8.1
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, sathiya psql wrote:

> My question is that how to migrate my database to 7.4 to 8.1
>

> that is not only dumping the db and extracting that in 8.1 ..
>
> If i do that whether it will work without problem, or i have to do some
> manual changes is my question...

you would need to look at the release notes for each version to see if you
are using any of the features that were changed.

but in return for this hassle (which you will need to do eventually, you
are just deciding when) you get to use the newer version with all the
speed improvements, not to mention the new features.

going from 7.x to 8.0 is the most painful step. going on from 8.0 to 8.1
to 8.2 to 8.3 are relativly minor steps in comparison.

David Lang