Re: Modifying column size

От Susan Lane
Тема Re: Modifying column size
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Stephan Szabo" <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com> wrote in message
news:20020719150925.D85491-100000@megazone23.bigpanda.com...
> In general, not really (as per other answers).
>
> For the specific cases of varchar of one size to varchar of a larger size,
> you can do so with some system table hacking.  In general, unless you've
> got constraints/views/etc to prevent you from making a new table, copying
> the data and renaming, I'd suggest against it.  (If you really want to
> know, you can ask about it specifically or better yet, check the archives
> :) )

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses!

What I ended up doing is dumping the data, dropping the table (which created
problems, since I had constraints), recreating the table with my changed
varchar size, and restoring the data.  I think the suggestion to create a
new table and copying it over is a better solution.....I will still have to
deal with my constraints, but at least there are less steps!  :)