Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 9/15/20 11:45 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org> writes:
>> On a different note, I became aware of this[1] and noticed that dropping
>> "CREATE EXTENSION ... FROM" was not listed in the incompatibilities
>> section, so proposing the attached. I have no strong opinions on the
>> final wording, mainly wanted to get it listed.
>
> It is listed already in the "Additional Modules" section (about line 2940
> in release-13.sgml as of right now).

...sort of. It talks about the feature, but does not talk about the
syntax removal, which is what I was originally searching for in the
release notes.

>  I don't know Bruce's exact reasoning
> for not including it in the "Incompatibilities" section, but I tend to
> agree that it shouldn't be significant to any real-world user.

I do tend agree with this intuitively but don't have any data to back it
up either way. That said, we did modify the command and it would be good
to at least mention the fact we dropped "FROM" somewhere in the release
notes. It provides a good reference in case someone reports an "issue"
in the future stemming from dropping the "FROM" keyword, we can say "oh
it changed in PG13, see XYZ."

(Speaking from having used the release notes to perform similar
troubleshooting).

> I think
> that the postgis testing issue you reference is just an ancient test
> case that they should drop as no longer relevant.

Sure, and AIUI they're going to do that, mostly that was a reference
point to the changed syntax.

Jonathan

Вложения