Re: range_agg

От Paul Jungwirth
Тема Re: range_agg
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I suspect that if you build it, the will come, "they" being anyone who
> has to schedule coverage, check usage of a resource over time, etc. Is
> this something you want help with at some level? Coding, testing,
> promoting...

You might be right. :-) Most of this is done already, since it was
largely copy/paste from my extension plus figuring out how to register
built-in functions with the .dat files. I need to write some docs and do
some cleanup and I'll have a CF entry. And I'll probably go ahead and
add your two suggestions too.... Things I'd love help with:

- Getting more opinions about the functions' interface, either from you
or others, especially:
   - In the extension I have a boolean param to let you accept gaps or
raise an error, and another for overlaps. But what about
accepting/raising/returning null? How should the parameters expose that?
Maybe leave them as bools but accept true/false/null for
permit/raise/nullify respectively? That seems like a questionable UI,
but I'm not sure what would be better. Maybe someone with better taste
can weigh in. :-) I tried to find existing built-in functions that gave
a enumeration of options like that but couldn't find an existing example.
   - Also: what do you think of the question I asked in my reply to
Corey? Is it better to have *all* range_agg functions return an array of
ranges, or it is nicer to have a variant that always returns a single range?
- Getting it reviewed.
- Advice about sequencing it with respect to my temporal foreign keys
patch, where I'm planning to call range_agg to check an FK. E.g. should
my FK patch be a diff on top of the range_agg code? I assume they should
have separate CF entries though?

Oh and here's something specific:

- I gave oids to my new functions starting with 8000, because I thought
I saw some discussion about that recently, and the final committer will
correct the oids to the current n+1? But I can't find that discussion
anymore, so if that's the wrong approach let me know.

Thanks!

--
Paul              ~{:-)
pj@illuminatedcomputing.com

Сообщение: Re: _bt_split(), and the risk of OOM before its critical section
Сообщение: Re: _bt_split(), and the risk of OOM before its critical section