Re: Insertion to temp table deteriorating over time

От Rajesh Kumar Mallah
Тема Re: Insertion to temp table deteriorating over time
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 12/13/06, Steven Flatt <steven.flatt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Our application is using Postgres 7.4 and I'd like to understand the root
> cause of this problem:
>
> To speed up overall insert time, our application will write thousands of
> rows, one by one, into a temp table

1. how frequently are you commiting the transaction ?
    if you commit less frequetly it will be faster.

2. If you use COPY instead of INSERT it will be faster.
    using COPY is easy with DBD::Pg (perl). In versions
    8.x i think there has been major speed improvements
   in COPY.

I do not know the root cause of slowdown though.

Regds
mallah.