Re: Restart time

От Rajesh Kumar Mallah
Тема Re: Restart time
Дата
Re: Restart time  (Jean Arnaud <Jean.Arnaud@inrialpes.fr>)
Список pgsql-performance

Jean Arnaud <Jean.Arnaud@inrialpes.fr> writes:
> Is there a relation between database size and PostGreSQL restart duration ?

No.

> Does anyone now the behavior of restart time ?

It depends on how many updates were applied since the last checkpoint
before the crash.

If you're talking about startup of a cleanly-shut-down database, it
should be pretty much constant time.

Dear Sir,

Startup time of a clean shutdown database is constant. But we still
face problem when it comes to shutting down. PostgreSQL waits
for clients to finish gracefully. till date i have never been able to shutdown
quickly (web application scenerio) and i tend to do pg_ctl -m immediate stop
mostly.

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster