question about docs on copy command

От Platon Pronko
Тема question about docs on copy command
Дата
Re: question about docs on copy command
Список pgsql-novice
Hi!

I'm having a little trouble with docs of COPY command: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/sql-copy.html

Excerpt from synopsis:

> COPY { table_name [ ( column_name [, ...] ) ] | ( query ) }
>     TO { 'filename' | PROGRAM 'command' | STDOUT }
>     [ [ WITH ] ( option [, ...] ) ]
>
> where option can be one of:
>
>     FORMAT format_name

This led me to beleive that the following command should be valid:

copy (select 1) to stdout with format csv;

However, the error is shown:

> ERROR:  syntax error at or near "format"
> LINE 1: copy (select 1) to stdout with format csv;
>                                        ^

This command executes normally:

copy (select 1) to stdout with csv;

Am I missing something, or maybe the docs need a slight correction?

Best regards,
Platon Pronko