Re: pg_upgrade should truncate/remove its logs before running

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: pg_upgrade should truncate/remove its logs before running
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/15/21 16:23, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 04:17:23PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
>>> Uh, the database server doesn't erase its logs on crash/failure, so why
>>> should pg_upgrade do that?
>> The server emits enough information so that it's not confusing:
>> there are timestamps, and there's an identifiable startup line.
>> pg_upgrade does neither.  If you don't want to truncate as
>> Justin suggests, you should do that instead.
>>
>> Personally I like the idea of making a timestamped subdirectory
>> and dropping all the files in that, because the thing that most
>> annoys *me* about pg_upgrade is the litter it leaves behind in
>> $CWD.  A subdirectory would make it far easier to mop up the mess.
> Yes, lot of litter.  Putting it in a subdirectory makes a lot of sense.
> Justin, do you want to work on that patch, since you had an earlier
> version to fix this?

The directory name needs to be predictable somehow, or maybe optionally
set as a parameter. Having just a timestamped directory name would make
life annoying for a poor buildfarm maintainer. Also, please don't change
anything before I have a chance to adjust the buildfarm code to what is
going to be done.

cheers

andrew

--