Re: [HACKERS] Multi column range partition table

От Amit Langote
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Multi column range partition table
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Dean,

On 2017/07/03 17:36, Dean Rasheed wrote:
> On 3 July 2017 at 06:00, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>> On 2017/07/03 2:15, Dean Rasheed wrote:
>>> My first thought was UNBOUNDED ABOVE/BELOW, because that matches the
>>> terminology already in use of upper and lower bounds.
>>
>> I was starting to like the Ashutosh's suggested UNBOUNDED MIN/MAX syntax,
>> but could you clarify your comment that ABOVE/BELOW is the terminology
>> already in use of upper and lower bounds?  I couldn't find ABOVE/BELOW in
>> our existing syntax anywhere that uses the upper/lower bound notion, so
>> was confused a little bit.
>>

> I just meant that the words "above" and "below" more closely match the
> already-used terms "upper" and "lower" for the bounds, so that
> terminology seemed more consistent, e.g. "UNBOUNDED ABOVE" => no upper
> bound.
>
>> Also, I assume UNBOUNDED ABOVE signifies positive infinity and vice versa.
>>

> Right.

I see, thanks for clarifying.

> I'm not particularly wedded to that terminology. I always find naming
> things hard, so if anyone can think of anything better, let's hear it.
>
> The bigger question is do we want this for PG10? If so, time is
> getting tight. My feeling is that we do, because otherwise we'd be
> changing the syntax in PG11 of a feature only just released in PG10,
> and I think the current syntax is flawed, so it would be better not to
> have it in any public release. I'd feel better hearing from the
> original committer though.

The way I have extended the syntax in the posted patch, ABOVE/BELOW (or
whatever we decide instead) are optional.  UNBOUNDED without the
ABOVE/BELOW specifications implicitly means UNBOUNDED ABOVE if in FROM and
vice versa, which seems to me like sensible default behavior and what's
already present in PG 10.

Do you think ABOVE/BELOW shouldn't really be optional?

> Meanwhile, I'll continue trying to review the latest patches...

I had forgotten to update the CREATE TABLE documentation in 0002 to
reflect the syntax extension.  Fixed in the attached latest patch.

Thanks,
Amit