Re: integer square root function proposed

От Rob Sargent
Тема Re: integer square root function proposed
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 12/17/22 19:39, Martin L. Buchanan wrote:
Dear PostgreSQL colleagues:

I have just joined this, my first PG mailing list.

Reading the documentation I found no built-in function for integer square root, requiring a sequence of:

floor(sqrt(foo))::integer

to go from an integer to the integer square root as an integer.

If PG leaders smile on this suggestion, could we have isqrt(foo) where foo has a numeric type and the result type is the same numeric type, with the result type being the integer square root for foo >= 0 and producing an error if negative? (And with infinities and NaNs processed as described in 8.1 Numeric Types).

I did not see an explicit enhancement request list in the PG mailing lists. Recommendations for a more specific list to post this to are welcome.

I suspect the majority are comfortable getting a non-integer result for the square root of a number.  What environment have you which needs (sqrt(a) * sqrt(a)) < a-epsilon?